3 Questions About Suffering A Drunk Driving Related Injury

Were you the victim in a car accident where the other driver was drinking while driving? You likely have a lot of questions about how to handle this interesting situation. Here is what you need to know as you move forward with a lawsuit to recover your financial losses. 

What Should You Do After The Accident To Get Started?

There are going to be two issues related to any drunk driving accident that need to be handled. The first involves calling the police because there is a criminal case that needs to be brought against the drunk driver. They will have charges brought against them for their actions, which can involve fines, license suspension, and jail time. In addition, having police at the scene of the accident is going to help build more evidence to help your case. The officers will be able to collect their own evidence, take a video of the other driver, and other things of that nature. Meanwhile, you'll need to get in touch with a lawyer to start the process of recovering your damages related to your personal injury case. 

Should The Criminal Case Finish Before Your Injury Lawsuit?

A common question people have about drunk-driving-related accident cases is when they should start their personal injury case. Know that the outcome of the criminal case can have an impact on your civil lawsuit for your personal injury case. It really depends on the nature of the accident though, which is why it's worth contacting a lawyer for more information about when to file your lawsuit. If the drunk driver has a lot of evidence against them and they lose their criminal case, you will have more leverage when negotiating a settlement with the insurance company. However, you may not want to wait until a judgement is rendered in a criminal case, and simply look to get things moving early on.

What Can You Sue The Other Driver For?

A drunk driving accident means that you can recover more than just your medical bills. There is the potential to receive compensation for gross negligence due to them deciding to drink while driving, and reckless conduct if they have a high BAC level at the time of the accident. You can also receive punitive damages, which is an award that is given on top of all your normal damages as a way to punish the defendant. 

Talk to a personal injury attorney to learn more.